Sunday, June 23, 2013

Homemade Chicken Stock

 
Working 5 days a week do not really give me the luxury to cook at home everyday. I wish my mother would visit me more often to cook for me and I am pretty choosy when it comes to the food. Having breakfast, lunch and dinner outside bores me.

Sometimes you just want some home cook food. To get the right taste that you want. The right amount of salt. the right amount of sweetness, etc etc.

One of the best and easy thing that I love making is homemade chicken stock.  My mother-in-law has given me a very huge pot  and this is really useful to make these stocks.  I’ve found out that the chicken stock/broth sold at the supermarket are too salty, lack of flavour and there’s just no kick to it. Once I’ve started, I never look back!


Ingredient requires :
  • 1 medium size Chicken (with head intact) or 2 chicken carcase
  • 4-5 sticks each of Celery and Leeks (I prefer Japanese leeks)
  • 2-3 Large Brown Onion (remove skin and cut into halves)
  • 1 whole garlic (with skin and knock it)
  • 2-3 sticks of carrot
  • Fresh Thymes
  • Fresh Rosemary
  • Chinese Parsley
  • White peppercorn (a small bunch/10 pieces)
  • Seasalt
Direction :
Wash the chicken and remove internal waste.
Put all the ingredients into the pot and fill up with water and boil in high fire for half hour.
Reduce to medium fire. Add hot water if the water level reduced.
Boil for 5-6 hours in medium fire.



After 6 hours boiling all the ingredients are soften (picture above). Remove all the ingredient from the pot and split the stock into separate plastic containers.

Keep the stocks in the freezer for up till 1 month.



You can use the stock for noodle soup, risotto, stew etc.


No comments: